in down town

My photo
I enjoy creative writing and documentation, this blog is for that purpose.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

HARD TIMES THEY NEVER BLOW AWAY

I had such a lovely and cathartic evening 
Thoroughly enjoyed writing
Drinking a warm americano outside in the chilly air
Taking in some blues


Coffee and Writing
I am brainstorming program creation.
I want to create a program that will provide 18 months of mentoring and support to pregnant women and their families. Support, based on my assumptions of need, would include a paired team made of a  student midwife or doula and masters level student of social work, psychology or child development. The team would meet regularly with the family in their home, help identify needs and make connections with agencies that provide needed services. The team would also, and primarily, I think; teach prenatal parenting classes, birth classes, mentor the family, and provide counseling, pregnancy, birth, and labor education and support both before and after delivery.
But, I would not be doing due diligence if I went with this "program" as I see it now in my head. I think there is a need, I think these things could help empower women. I think pregnancy is a boundary experience for women, when harnessed as such. I think changing birth will change the world. :) But, unlike in my real life, I will not create a program based on my assumptions.

Integrating Theory of Change; logic models.
Trying to ask, and answer clearly, all the right questions to get the best program model.
I have many images, doodles, lists, and diagrams.
One of the more concrete lists is my list of information I want from prospective clients.
I'd like to get some feedback on this list, then get together some surveys perhaps.
Two clear personal goals came out of last nights work;
1- I want to create a unique program; not redundant nor primarily a referral service
2- I want to really identify a hole and accurately fill that need, I need a clear target and spot on aim.
Maybe those aren't so lofty or even that clear. But, they emerged from my attempts to identify long, intermediate and short term goals... hmmm, that part was hard. I kept writing things down and crossing things off. It will come; but I think getting needs from the community clear will help.

There is much more, and if I open this page up a little bit to get feedback it might be good to display my diagrams. Will see.

Moving on...

Not my first date with myself, but it was an intimate one. Before I sat down to write I made a stupidly awkward phone call. Lame. It is so sad. I am so sad. Something feels wrong, I feel like something is important and it would be such a simple thing to clarify. Something feels wrong. Human interactions have this sacred element, in my opinion. I'm overly sensitive, it's a okay. I think the crux of it is that I  feel something is important, if my phone message recipient felt the same, there would be not issue. Aha.

After sitting out in the cool fall air, trying to tease out the most awesome program idea ever... I was so ready for a night of BLUES!

Music
I stepped into the Alberta Rose Theater, bought a stout from the awesome friendly servers, then picked out the best possible seat. I know it was assigned seating, didn't know nor care where "my" seat might be. I picked out a seat on the aisle to the right of the stage, it was perfection with an open and clear view of a chair and a couple guitar stands.


 Lewi Longmire opened the show. Some heart wrenching love songs in that mans back pocket. I sure would have loved to be standing, dancing. I was really present for his performance and I'm having trouble remembering; I think he played a ditty about a rambler, called Rambler. It's becoming a theme, ever since Joe Goode's poignant and amazing show, "The Rambler". I am very much beginning to identity with this character, against my own will. For my own protection...it all comes together and makes sense. Enjoyed Lewi's set, bit of a tear jerker, but that's just me.

Stretching of the legs and a Fat Tire in hand I visited with some hard core fans, guys who saw Kelly Joe 16 years ago, this and that. I have to admit, I love Kelly's album with Corinne so much. I listen to Whiskey Poet the most, and I told him so after the show. But that was then, now back to my seat.

Kelly Joe Phelps has released his new album, Brother Sinner & the Whale. I know Portland knows him well. He played "River Rat Jimmy" at the top of his set. Much enjoyed older tune. He also played a song recorded by Hank Williams Sr, "Singing Waterfall". Beautiful. I will never understand the audience that can listen to heart dripping blues without moving their bodies. I was in my seat, but only just. I was keepin' time through my spine and out my boots, but I had the row to myself. I hope the couple behind me didn't mind. Kelly Joe's guitar playing was felt and painful. Hurray for slide steel. He gets such raw sound and doesn't loose any clarity. I absolutely adore the way he stomps his right foot and swings is left leg while he's playin' and singin'. Endearing. He was as kind as you can imagine post show; shared a warm hand shake, conversation, and a big generous hug.

 Love real hugs, for reals. 



I could not help but snap this quick picture at the top of the set. 

Music is amazing; so good for your soul. 

Love
C

No comments: